Lead and Mold

Avoid the health risks of breathing in mold and lead paint dusts. At Envirotest Mold Asbestos Inspection in Dedham, Massachusetts, we provide thorough environmental testing and inspection solutions. Additionally, we supply you with relevant information regarding the cause of these health hazards.

Lead from Paint

Many houses built before 1978 have paint that contains lead. Lead from paint, chips, and dust can pose serious health hazards, if not taken care of properly. People can get lead in their body in the following ways:


 • Accidental Ingestion of Paint Chips or Soil that Contains Lead
 • Putting Their Hands or Other Objects Covered with Lead Dust in Their Mouths
 • Breathing in Lead Dust Especially during Renovations That Disturb Painted Surfaces
Effects on Children
Lead is even more dangerous to children than adults because children's growing bodies absorb more lead. Their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead. If not detected early, children with high levels of lead can suffer from:


 • Damage to the Brain and Nervous System
 • Slowed Growth, Hearing Problems, and Headaches

• Behavior and Learning Problems Such as Hyperactivity

Effects on Adults
Lead is also harmful to adults. Adults can suffer from reproductive problems, especially for women during pregnancy. Other effects include:

 • Nerve Disorders
 • Digestive Problems
• High Blood Pressure
• Muscle and Joint Pains
• Memory and Concentration Problems

Mold is a fungus that is a fuzzy-looking growth appearing on the surface of damp materials, both outdoors and indoors. They appear in a variety of colors such as gray, green, yellow, orange, and black.
Molds reproduce by producing tiny spores that become airborne allowing them to propagate in other areas. Mold spores continually waft through the air. These spores are so small that when inside a room with no air movement, they tend to stay airborne for as much as two weeks before settling.
When a moisture episode takes place, or if the mold spores lands or settles on a damp spot, they may begin growing and spreading. Indoors, molds can grow on wood, paper, fabrics, carpet, foods, and other organic materials.
Moisture Control
When excessive moisture, vapor, or humidity accumulates indoors, mold growth often follows, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or isn't remediated promptly. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores, but growth can be prevented by controlling moisture.
Preventing Mold
If mold is a problem in your home or office, clean up and eliminate sources of moisture. Here are some of the steps in preventing mold occurrence:


 • Fix the Source of the Water Problem or Leak to Prevent Mold Growth
 • Reduce Indoor Humidity by Increasing Ventilation
 • Clean and Dry any Damp or Wet Materials and Furnishings within 24 to 48 Hours
 • Clean Mold off Hard Surfaces with Water and Detergent, and Dry Completely
 • Don't Install Carpeting Where There Is a Perpetual Moisture Problem



Contact us at (781) 329-1133, to inquire about our innovative environmental testing company.

Follow Us On: